New Motor Vehicle/Motorcycle Distributor
Business licensed for the purpose of distributing new motor vehicles or new motorcycles from the manufacturer to franchised dealers.
Applications shall be denied for reasons listed in Ohio Revised Code 4517.13 and Ohio Administrative Code 4501:1-3-09 which include:
- A conviction of ANY fraudulent act (misdemeanor or felony), regardless of the conviction date, related to selling or dealing in motor vehicles.
Following the issuance of a license, violation of any provisions of section 4517.171
of the R.C. could be subject to revocation of the license by the Registrar. The licensee may appeal the action of the Registrar to the Motor Vehicle Dealers Board. Notification of an administrative hearing shall be given to the licensed holder in a timely manner upon notification to the Board of such violations.
|Distributor's License Application
| Statement of Manufacturer/ Distributor Franchise (submit with BMV 4314 above)
Physical Location Requirements
- Verify with local authorities the zoning regulations for the proposed facility. The Dealer Licensing Section does not preempt the enforcement by local authorities of zoning, health, safety codes or laws.
- The proposed established place of business must be easily accessible from a public roadway and identified as a distributor.
- The distributor’s established place of business is used exclusively for the purpose of distributing new motor vehicles to new motor vehicle dealers; except as pursuant to O.R.C. 4517.03(F) a distributor who is also a new motor vehicle dealer may distribute new motor vehicles at the same place of business at which the distributor sells, displays, offers for sale, or deals in new motor vehicles.
- The established place of business must be separated from any residence, used motor vehicle dealership, salvage motor vehicle dealership, salvage motor vehicle auction and salvage motor vehicle pool.
Required Documentation for Licensing
- A copy of the certificate from the Secretary of State showing the business has been registered. (Exemption: Sole Proprietor and Partnership)
- A copy of the certificate from the Secretary of State showing a fictitious or trade name has been registered.
- Each person listed on the application in the Ownership Section are required to complete a criminal history record through the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI). For detailed information, see our Criminal History Record Requirements.
- Photographs of the location must be submitted via mail or e-mail (JPEG format). The required photographs are listed on the application.
- A Statement of Manufacturer/ Distributor Franchise (BMV 4319) must be submitted for each line make.
Distributors within the state of Ohio are required to obtain at least one distributor plate to use for demonstration purposes. Distributors outside the state are not eligible.
NOTE: A reasonable number of additional plates may be requested to support the auction business. However the plates may not be used contrary to uses as specified in the Ohio Revised Code Section 4503.33. Plates used for any other purpose may be reduced or subject to confiscation.
Ohio Revised Code:
Ohio Administrative Code: