New Motor Vehicle, Motorcycle, APV or Camping Trailer Dealer
A dealer primarily engaged in the business of selling one of the following: new motor vehicles, new motorcycles, new off-highway motorcycles, new all-purpose vehicles, or new camping trailers.
Applications shall be denied for reasons listed in Ohio Revised Code 4517.12 and Ohio Administrative Code 4501:1-3-09 which include:
- A conviction of ANY fraudulent act (misdemeanor or felony), regardless of the conviction date, related to selling or dealing in motor vehicles.
Following the issuance of a license, violation of any provisions of section 4517.171
of the R.C. could be subject to revocation of the license by the Registrar. The licensee may appeal the action of the Registrar to the Motor Vehicle Dealers Board. Notification of an administrative hearing shall be given to the licensed holder in a timely manner upon notification to the Board of such violations.
|New Motor Vehicle Dealer Application
| Statement of Manufacturer/ Distributor Franchise (submit with BMV 4322 above)
Physical Location Requirements
- Verify with local authorities the zoning regulations for the proposed facility. The Dealer Licensing Section does not preempt the enforcement by local authorities of zoning, health, safety codes or laws.
- The established place of business shall be used exclusively for the purpose of selling, displaying, offering for sale or dealing in motor vehicles.
- The established place of business must have space under roof for the display of at least one new motor vehicle and space under roof for the servicing and repair of at least one new motor vehicle.
- NOTE: Dealers selling semi-trailers, trailers or park trailers are exempt from the requirement that the location have space under roof for service and display.
- A permanent sign in the registered name of the business as it appears on the application, with letters of at least six inches high. The business sign shall be prominently displayed, properly maintained and permanent.
- A business telephone must be in service at all times and answered in the dealership’s name. The business telephone number must be legibly posted in a conspicuous place in public view.
- The business hours must be maintained and legibly posted in a conspicuous place near the entrance of the office.
NOTE: A physical inspection will be performed by BMV Investigations physical inspection will be performed prior to or after the issuance of the license. If the licensed location fails to meet any of the listed requirements, the license will immediately be referred to the Motor Vehicle Dealers Board for possible suspension or revocation of the license.
New Dealer Requirements
- A new dealer must notify the Bureau of Motor Vehicles when there is a change in status of their franchise(s).
Required Documentation for Licensing
- A copy of the certificate from the Secretary of State showing the business has been registered. (Exemption: Sole Proprietor and Partnership)
- A copy of the certificate from the Secretary of State showing a fictitious or trade name has been registered.
- Each person listed on the application in the Ownership Section are required to complete a criminal history record through the Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation (BCI). For detailed information, see our Criminal History Record Requirements.
- Photographs of the location must be submitted via mail or e-mail (JPEG format). The required photographs are listed on the application.
- A Statement of Manufacturer/ Distributor Franchise (form BMV 4319) must be submitted for each line make.
Dealers are required to purchase at least one dealer plate.
NOTE: A reasonable number of additional plates may be requested to support the business. However, the plates may not be used contrary to uses as specified in the Ohio Revised Code 4503.27. Plates used for any other purpose may be reduced or subject to confiscation.
Ohio Revised Code:
Ohio Administrative Code: